ModelSim-Altera Installation Instructions
- PC Installation
- UNIX Installation (Solaris, Red Hat Linux & HP-UX)
- Pre-Compiled Library Installation
There are two versions of the Mentor Graphics ® ModelSim®-Altera® software available:
- ModelSim-Altera Edition—Quartus® II Subscription (paid)
- ModelSim-Altera Web Edition—Quartus II Web Edition (free)
Both ModelSim-Altera Edition and ModelSim-Altera Web Edition are available for installation on PC systems.
- Download the installation file to your hard drive and unzip it.
- Run the installation program for ModelSim-Altera located in the modelsim/pc directory.
Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
Note: The software installation directory path cannot contain spaces.
- Reboot your computer when the installation is complete.
UNIX Installation (Solaris, Red Hat Linux, and HP-UX)
Only ModelSim-Altera Edition is available for installation on UNIX systems.
- Download the installation tar file to a temporary directory.
Type the following commands from that temporary directory:
tar -xf modeltech-altera-unix-<version number>.tar
- The installation script guides you through the installation procedure.
If you have an installation or licensing question that is not addressed here, visit the Altera mySupport web site.
Pre-Compiled Library Installation
The following ModelSim-Altera software is available for pre-compiled library installation:
- ModelSim-Altera Edition (PC, UNIX/Linux)
- ModelSim-Altera Web Edition (PC only)
If you use the ModelSim-Altera simulation software, you must update the ModelSim-Altera pre-compiled libraries when you install a Quartus II software service pack. This update is not required for users of ModelSim PE/SE or other simulation tools.
- Exit the ModelSim-Altera software before continuing.
Download the pre-compiled library update file.
Note: Pre-compiled libraries for supported platforms are distributed in a single file.
Copy the file to the <ModelSim-Altera software installation>
/alteradirectory of your ModelSim-Altera software installation.
- Unzip the file in that directory.
- (Optional) Delete the pre-compiled library update file.